Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sucre

    I cut my long weekend in Sucre one day short, for a couple reasons, one, I was sick and being away from home and sick is never fun. Two, notice the word I used? HOME. It was interesting to see how it felt being away from the kids and from my room, I realized, this place really has become my Bolivian home, and I will miss it once I get back to Illinois even though I will be so happy to see my family again.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all."
 -Alfred Lord Tennyson "In Memoriam A.H.H."-


    Nevertheless, it was fun to see another part of the country and taking the bus was a good experience that I don't care to repeat. It took 8 hours of winding roads on the edges of mountains. The thought crossed my mind a couple times, "God I trust you, but I don't trust this driver!!!"  I know, much could be said for the theology of that statement, but it helped me to laugh to myself and loosen my grip on the arm of my seat, at least for that particular curve.
 Also, just sitting on a bus for 8 hours when you know that you could have gotten there in 30 mins by airplane is hard to accept. The fun part of the bus ride was getting to know the people I was traveling a little bit, and watching them interact with each other. It was a fun group to be a part of!

   Sucre is pretty and our hotel was GORGEOUS! We arrived at 4 in the morning on Friday and went to our hotel, he wouldn't let us check in until noon, but he did allow us to leave our bags in the lobby so that we didn't have to lug them with us around the city for eight hours!!!! Despite being tired, it turned out to be one of the best parts of the trip for me. It was so quiet, with no traffic and very few other people, we got to walk around and see the architecture and view the general landscape of the city without the noise of cars and busses.











   Maribel, my seat partner both ways! We also managed to get lost on Saturday and spent a couple hours wandering around, buying chocolates and souvenirs, taking pictures, and just hanging out!  (Another favorite time of mine!)





 After an almost forty-five minute drive through the dusty countryside, (and I mean dusty. In some places, it was two inches of very fine yellow dust.) we arrived at what was supposed to be a beautiful waterfall... It is the dry season, there was naught but a trickle!!! The rest of our group hiked down to see if they could find anything more, but Mary and I stayed up on top of the hill and admired the scenery. 





 

 The view from the hotel cafeteria.


  The breakfast came with the price of the hotel room, they also had an amazing coffee stand with a cappuccino maker. (Another highlight of the trip!!)



 The courtyard of the hotel. All the rooms look out into this area. 

 Most of our group at about 5 am. The dog followed us around for probably an hour!

 Me with my roommate, Mary. I haven't had many opportunities to talk with her, so it was really nice to get to know her a little bit better! 

 At a museum 

              The hotel  






"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands." 
Psalm 19:1




No comments:

Post a Comment