Sunday, February 3, 2019

3 Weeks

     This past week I ended up spending extra time at the girls' house, it was really fun! We went to the movie theater (someone else beat me to taking them there.) And then I helped out with Friday night Bible study. I have pictures, but they are all selfies with the girls and their faces are fully visible, so I can't post them on here. We laughed a lot, it has probably been one of my favorite weeks with them!
    Since someone else just paid for them to go to the theater, Kathryn and I have adjusted the plans, we are going to take some of the girls to the jewelry supply shop and give them each money (from the amount that they made actually selling the earrings) to choose the supplies that they want, then do a pizza/movie night at their house and I'll spend the night there- that will be my last day that I spend with them. I'm looking forward to doing it, but it is going to be sad to leave Saturday morning, knowing that I'll probably never see them again, at least, not for a long time.

     The kids all go back to school tomorrow, from what they have told me, they are all excited, but I'm sure that prayers for the adjustment back to school would be welcomed!

     Thursday, I leave with some friends to go to the Salt Flats, (prayers for safety would be appreciated- I've heard that the buses we are taking can have high crash rates at this time of year.)) We will get back to Cochabamba next Sunday afternoon.

      Also, on Tuesday I will have a Skype interview for a job when I get back. It is still so strange that, after a year of waiting, I'm actually coming back to Illinois!!! It is a weird mixture of planning to be back home, but also trying to be involved with the kids. I'm thankful for the schedule change, as it gives me a couple more hours with them for the last three weeks.

     Life has pretty much been the same around here. It's been rainy, yesterday was in the low 60s, I was freezing! My friend was teasing me about being so cold- I had told her earlier about the crazy winter that IL is experiencing, she informed me that I will be unable to survive.

     Most people don't talk to me at church, but last week and this week I was finally invited to participate in church events- unfortunately, I now won't be able to, my time is filling up. Still, it was nice to finally be invited to participate!!! I wish that I would have had the courage to attend in the beginning without being directly invited, but God knows all that. I'm looking forward to being back at my home church again, I miss fellowshipping with my family and everyone else at FBC.

   Well, the pictures of the girls will have to keep for my final email (from IL!!!) so I don't have much else to report!
     
    In my devotion time, I've been reading a book called "The Joy Project" by Tony Reinke, he quotes C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity and says,
"All the we call human history-money, poverty, 
ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery-
is the long terrible story of man trying to find something 
other than God which will make him happy."

      It has been a good book so far. As a dreamer and a people pleaser, the points that Reinke brings up have been causing me to think, and to see the gospel afresh. The phrase from the catechism "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever" comes to mind often. DO I enjoy God? I think that I still want to rely on my own works to some extent or another, I'll probably battle that my whole life until I get to heaven and see how truly ridiculous I was to think that my "good works" had any merit in the eyes of a holy God. The most recent chapter speaks of the book of Hosea, the complete unworthiness of Gomer- the woman that God calls him to love and take as his wife. 

     I've known what the story of Hosea and Gomer illustrates, however, I've always thought of it in general terms, 'we' or 'the church,' I never wanted to put myself in the place of Gomer. It felt shameful. This week God helped me to see anew a bit of my position before Him, unworthy but loved regardless. 
     The love of God doesn't come from anything that the loved can do or be, but from the very essence of who God is. He chooses to delight in His children and to use us for His glory. He will not abandon the good work that He has started. 

    I am thankful for the mercy, grace, and faithfulness of our God!

   I hope that was an encouragement to you!

   Have a wonderful week!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment