Monday, October 1, 2018

September Newsletter

(FYI: If you get my monthly email update then you have already seen this post.)


     I can hardly believe that it is already September, I knew that once I passed the halfway mark (August) that time would go faster, but I didn't realize quite what that meant!!! 
    Over the past 7 months, I have certainly had my very frequent days (or weeks) of missing home, but recently God has been opening my eyes to the incredible blessing that I have to be able to spend this year here with these kids. 
     This afternoon, I was in the kitchen checking on a pan of rolls that I had in the oven. (They make for great breakfast foods during the week and the other tias like them too.) I heard Marcella calling my name from the dining room, when I turned she waved excitedly. I went to give her a hug and tell her hi and she came running calling me "mama" (she's been doing that a lot lately.) Yobani hugged me too and repeated Marcella. I hate having to correct them and tell them to call me 'Tia.'
    Then when I brought my pan of bread out to my room I was swarmed by all of the kids with their hands outstretched. I gave them all some, however, a couple kept knocking on my door asking for more. 
    Fabiola loves dresses and was so excited to show me the dress that she got to wear to church today. She gave me the biggest hug when I told her that she looked pretty. 
    Josue recently proudly showed me a picture that he had made in class, it was beautiful, but his shy grin was even more beautiful, he couldn't stop talking about it. Telling me what more he was going to add and telling me all about what he had already drawn. I taught him about seeds on the way home from school, he now loves finding seeds and bringing them home to "plant" and he is very particular where he puts them because he doesn't want the plants to crash into each other when they grow!

     Especially during this month, I have had multiple experiences like this where I realize how much these kids bless me daily, their smiles, hugs, kisses, excited chatter, silly laughter and hilarious comments. I am so thankful to be able to spend this year with them, despite the fact that I miss home, I am truly thankful that I came to Bolivia. I have learned so much/am learning so much. There was a time when I didn't think I would miss Bolivia, I was just eager to return home. I visited Sucre earlier this month and I realized that I missed Cochabamba and the precious little ones here, and I was only gone two days! I am of course eager to come home, but the parting from my Bolivian home will be much more sorrowful than I originally thought. It is interesting to think back on my first impressions and my struggles, sorrows, concerns, (I'm sure I'll still have them, especially around Christmas) but God really does have a plan. His way is always best and in His presence is fullness of joy!

    I can be sad for the things that I am missing in this year away from my home, but I will never regret the year of memories, lessons, and joys of my year here in Bolivia. My eyes have filled with tears several times this month, but not for the same reasons as in previous months. Praise God! He has given me real joy and love for my life here during this time. I find myself staying in the babyhouse longer than I have to, eating my meals with the kids, and chatting with the tias more. He has filled my heart with thankfulness. 

     Yeah, I definitely still get frustrated with the kids sometimes, I definitely still have days when I just want to come home... But I also have days when I don't want Abraham's hug to end, when I don't want to silence the endless prattle around the dinner table, or let go of the sticky little hand that is gripped in mine. 
Three-year-old Marcella has figured out that I am tired all the time, so, she will often sit on my lap and ask me, "Tia, are you tired?" 
"Yes, I am always tired," I respond.
"Go to sleep!" She says. Then she makes me close my eyes and she lays her head on my shoulder and pretends to sleep too, and she pops her head up after a couple of seconds to make sure that I am "sleeping."

    My schedule is changing in two weeks, I will no longer be working in the afternoons as I have been for the past seven months. Instead, I will be working in the mornings, which might be hard to get used to. Prayers would be appreciated for that, I've been so tired the past couple months and no amount of sleep seems to help and now I won't be able to sleep in anymore. However, I am excited because I will be the only tia with the five littlest ones, therefore, I will be able to lead activities with more freedom than I have previously had. (I have always been a supporting tia, not really a "lead" tia.) 

If you would be willing to pray for God to provide Christian adoptive families for the children that would also be greatly appreciated. Several kids are available for adoption, but finding families will be almost impossible because they have special needs and most people here want "normal" kids.

                                                                                            2 Peter 3:18b
                                         "To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen."  

No comments:

Post a Comment