Sunday, April 29, 2018

Of My 8th Week in Bolivia

I went grocery shopping earlier this week, something I dread and put off for as long as possible, I walked around for an hour and had filled my cart to capacity. I was dreaming of PB cookies and chicken tortilla soup, finally got all my stuff and put it up for the cashier. He rang up my 400 bs worth of groceries (like, $50.. I had several American products which made the price a lot higher than usual, plus I had A LOT of stuff... Should last for a while!) Anyway. I gave him my debit card, he tried it two or three times and it was not working. I knew that I had money in my checking account. 
My face started to flush... I always carry cash, this is Bolivia, a cash-based society. However, all I had was 50 bs (less than $10) I asked if there was an ATM, he said I could use the ones outside. I tried two. Neither of them worked. In a panic I called my friend, she didn't know what to do. I tried calling TJ but he didn't answer. I frantically texted my mom, figuring that for some reason my bank was blocking my account again. She didn't answer either. I tried one more ATM. Finally, I texted TJ asking for vocabulary to explain that my account was blocked. Armed with that helpful sentence, I went resignedly back into the grocery store.
 The man finished helping some other customers and then came to see what I had to say for myself. I explained the situation and told him I only had 50 bs. He kind of laughed at that. Then he helped me to pick out a few things to buy. He was very gracious though, and helpful. After I had finished choosing my purchases we had to wait for someone to come and authorize the transaction. While we were waiting, the cashier turned to me and asked in English, 
"Where are you from?"
I was so shocked that I stammered and searched my brain for the correct response. I probably looked like a complete fool, my face beet red and stammering going between "Los Estados...the, um, the United States..." I don't even know what all was in English and what was in Spanish. Haha. He said that my Spanish was good and asked how long I had been here. Eventually, he switched back to Spanish. It helped to make the whole situation funny and a good memory instead of completely terrible! 
(Since then, the card situation has been resolved!) 


I went to a new church this morning, another Bolivian church (with one of my Spanish teachers actually!) It was very small. Maybe 25 or 30 people. I was able to follow the sermon so that was fun! After singing there were announcements, I was already feeling a bit awkward, we were sitting much closer to the front than I would have chosen, we had arrived late, and it was so small that I couldn't blend in. Anyway, they started asking if there were any visitors, the worship pastor was making each visitor stand up and say their name and where they were from. A couple people stood up. I was hoping that he didn't notice me. No such luck... 
"And next to who?" He asked, the whole congregation responded, 
"Next to Monica!" (my teacher... I had been discovered!) 
I stood up and tremulously said, "Buen dia, mi nombre es Susannah." and sat back down. 
"Susan?" he asked, 
"No, Susannah," I said. 
I was blushing and shaking and quickly ducked my head. Subconsciously I heard him say 'Bienvenido.' I was then freaking out that I had said 'Bienvenido' instead of 'buen dia.' All the sudden my teacher was whispering to me, 
"De donde eres?" I looked up with a start, 
"Soy de Los Estados Unidos." 
Another visitor introduced himself, and then it was time to stand up and sing again, I was sure I was going to fall over from shaking!!!

All in all, it was a good experience and good Spanish comprehension practice. Nevertheless, I intend to go back to the International Church next Sunday, where it is bigger, mainly in English and I don't have to introduce myself! (The whole time before opening my mouth to introduce myself, I was remembering my one line in a skit when I was in Ukraine, I had to say it in Russian and I had been practicing and practicing, raising my voice so that I could be heard I promptly BUTCHERED the sentence. I was so afraid that it was going to happen again this morning!!!!) 



This week, I am thankful that God's ways are not my ways. 
I am thankful that He allows me to be a part of His plan. 
I am thankful that He uses me, a broken vessel, for His glorious purposes.
 I may never know all of the things He does, but I am thankful for when He does show me how He is working.
And I'm also thankful for friendship and toddler kisses! 



Romans 8:28
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."

Romans 8:35, 37-39
"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? [or homesickness]
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."


No comments:

Post a Comment