Sunday, April 22, 2018

A Few Little Stories

I sent out my April newsletter today so I am going to have a shorter post than usual, however, I realized that my newsletter got rather long so I saved a couple stories and pictures for here!

A couple days ago, Marcella was playing with my necklace.
“What is this called?” She asked. I told her in Spanish.
No,” she said indignantly, “en ingles!!!!”

She also sang happy birthday with me in English to send to Elijah for his birthday!

I stepped into my room to send Elijah a text message and Pablo asked what I was doing. "It's my brother's birthday and I'm writing him a message," I said.
"Your sister?" He asked.
"No, my brother," I repeated.
Later, when Kayla came to the babyhouse Pablo asked me, "Is that your sister who has a birthday today?"
The Sunday School teacher asked if I was Kayla's sister too... I suppose we are sisters in Christ and have kind of similar histories, as well as spending a lot of time together... We can be sisters in Bolivia. ;)





 Also, my awesome friend Kathryn made these beautiful curtains for my room, when she brought them over to help hang them she even brought me dinner!!!




I was on a bus the other night and asked the driver to let me off at the upcoming corner, just as I always do, he kept going past where they usually stop but I figured, maybe he was letting me off on the other side. When he went past that corner as well I told him more loudly, "I'm going to get off please!" To my surprise, he kept driving. Suddenly three or more Bolivian voices very loudly repeated my request. The driver slammed on his brakes. "I was going to stop at the wall..." He sputtered, trying to excuse himself. An older man sitting close to me yelled back indignantly, "She said on the corner."
One, I understood it all... so that was cool. Two, it's always nice to feel like people are looking after you, especially here when there are protests in La Paz calling for Americans to leave the country. (There are protests all the time... Bolivia doesn't like America in general. The other missionaries aren't concerned though. They've seen enough of them in their years here to know that, likely, nothing will come of it.)

"Lay down!" Marcella said... I don't think she realized that I am twice the length of her little playhouse... The kids like to scrape up the dusty, dried grass and pretend that it is food... I can only get so much in my clothes before this tia loses her imagination!
The house can also double as a jail cell... When I asked what I had done that would earn me a place in prison, the response I got was simply that I had done some very bad things...
(the translation was adjusted to sound more adult in English...In Spanish I probably sounded like a three-year-old.)
I finally convinced one of my "guards" to give me a key, which I was commanded to keep in my pocket, soon thereafter we had a merry chase around the yard!


No comments:

Post a Comment