Sunday, May 27, 2018

Hope for the Orphan

Happy Bolivian Mothers' Day! 

This week I received my first ever mothers' day card! 



It was a touching reminder that my job here isn't just to make sure that the tias don't get mad and that the children get fed and don't get hurt... 
No, my job here is to glorify God by showing the love of Christ to these precious children, most of them will never know a mother other than tias. I am called to be the best tia that I can possibly be, for the glory of God and through His strength. 

With it being winter here, the nights get rather chilly, it has been hard to get out of bed in the mornings, especially since I have been going to bed really late. Thus, my Bible time keeps being slighted. 
I cannot be the tia that God has called me to be for this year if I am not getting in His word. Just as my body will not function properly if I am not drinking water, so also must I drink deeply of the Living Water if I expect to be walking in the good deeds that He has prepared for me here.

I cannot love in His love, have patience when I'm frustrated, or rejoice when I really would rather not; if I am not refreshing myself in His truth. 

Matthew 4:4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" 

John 4:13-14
Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 



Abrahan kissing my cheek, Marcella asking me to read from the little Bible, (she kept turning the pages only giving me time to read the title.) And Pablo dogpiling on top of Abrahan... It was painful but so very fun. I love the kids so much. When I first came, it was the natural, "These kids are so cute." Then, "Wow, these kids are so difficult." 
   Now, God is growing in me a real love for these kids, even though they occasionally spit in my face, pee all over me, hit me, call me names or just flat out disobey me with no regard for the fact that I am speaking to them. 
He loves them. 
He knows their names. 
He knows their stories. 
He has ordained that I would be able to be apart of their lives for a year.

Will it make a difference in their lives? Only God knows. 
One thing I do know, they are making a difference in my life. 
Every little hug, random kiss, crazy hairdo, and makebelieve meal... They touch my heart. 








These children are beloved by God, though they were abandoned by their families. As the adopted children of our Heavenly Father, are we not commanded to care for the orphans? And doesn't that make perfect sense? We have been so loved, so forgiven, so freed, should we not have a heart for the orphan, the widow, and the sojourner to know the same? 
My mother prayed for victory in the lives of my siblings and myself when my biological dad left us. That has impacted me so greatly. I am not bound by my past, neither are these precious children.
 I long for them to see that. 
These children do not have mothers to love them and pray for them, will you join me in being their prayer warrior?
My prayer for each of them is, first of all, that they come to know Christ; the one who loves them despite their sin, that He died for them, and wants to forgive and adopt them as His own if they will turn from their sins and follow Him.
Secondly, I pray that instead of being filled with anger as they age, that God would work in their hearts and give them forgiveness to those who have hurt them, and an overwhelming love and compassion for others who are hurting. 
Thirdly,  I don't want them to go through life as survivors. I want to see them become victorious warriors for Christ. To not be bound by the chains of their past, but to rejoice in their Savior and to be filled with passion for His glory.

John 14:18
"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."

Psalm 10:14
 But you, God, see the trouble of the afflicted; you consider their grief and take it in hand. The victims commit themselves to you; you are the helper of the fatherless.


Psalm 5:11
But let all who take refuge in You be glad, Let them ever sing for joy; And may You shelter them, That those who love Your name may exult in You.

1 comment:

  1. We will/ are praying for these kids to KNOW the Love of Christ!

    ReplyDelete